Below are Frequently Asked Questions during the first few weeks of school.  If you have any additional questions, please contact the Admissions Office or the Welcome Center. 


What do I need to do to be a student at SMC?
5 Simple steps:
            Step 1: Apply online
            Step 2: Complete the Online Orientation
            Step 3: Take your Assessment Tests
            Step 4: Visit the Welcome Center to see a Counselor
            Step 5: Enroll online for your classes!
How do I enroll into classes at SMC? Students can enroll THEMSELVES into open classes up until the night before the second class meeting without the instructor’s approval.  The exception to this is online and hybrid classes which close to student self enrollment the night before the term begins.  After the second class meeting (or if the class is full) the instructor must give you an APPROVAL CODE.  You will use this code when you enroll through the Student Self-service System.

How do I ride the Big Blue Bus for FREE? It’s free to current SMC students, faculty and staff with ID (need current semester sticker). You can ride any line, any time during the fall 2008 semester, for free. For help finding the route you should take, please go to:

What is the Associated Students (AS) Fee?  How much is it? Why should I pay it?
The AS fee is $19. Here are some of the many benefits: Associated Students Computer Lab:  Internet Usage, E-Mail Access, and printing.  Campus Concerts, Speaker Series (Tuesday and Thursday at 11:15am Activity Hr.) Annual Events: Club Row & Celebrate America. Join one of our 50 plus clubs or Start a Club!  Leadership Opportunities (Elected or Appointed) Free Admission to SMC athletic events Supports the “Any Time, Any Line” Ride the Big Blue Bus FREE!!

When is the SMC Bookstore Open? In addition to its regular hours (M-Th. 8a.m.-7p.m. and Friday 8a.m.-3p.m.) the SMC Bookstore and Bursar’s office will be open on Saturday, August 30th from 10a.m.-3p.m. to better serve students.  Avoid the lines and parking issues and come on Saturday!

Where can I get my student ID? You can get your student ID (and your picture taken) behind the Bursar’s office.  This office is located next to the Counseling Complex near Pearl Street.

Where do I pay my fees? You can pay your fees online through the Student Self-service System or in person at the Bursar’s office on the main campus.

I forgot my student ID or password, what do I do?  Bring your photo ID to the Admissions office and we can help you.  Or email us from the email account we have on file for you and we can help.

Where do I buy my parking decal? You can purchase your parking decal ONLINE through the Student Self-service System and it will be mailed to you.  You may also purchase your parking at the Bursar’s office on the main campus.

Where should I park? Students, staff and faculty are encouraged to find alternative ways to get to campus to help alleviate the traffic and parking congestion.  The Big Blue Bus is FREE during the fall 2008 semester to all students, faculty and staff who have a valid semester sticker on their SMC ID.  If you must drive, please park for FREE at any of the satellite campus locations or the Olympic shuttle lot and ride the Big Blue Bus for free to and from the main campus.

I don’t know what classes to register for, how can I get help? If you are a new student at SMC, please visit our helpful counseling staff at the Welcome Center located in the Cayton Center.  The Welcome Center is open Monday-Thursday, 8:30a.m.-7:30p.m. and Friday from 8:30a.m.-1:30p.m. 

There is a “HOLD” on my account. What do I do? First check to determine what the hold is for.  This will determine which office you need to contact to remove the hold.  The Admissions office can help you if you have further questions.

Where can I get a copy of my class schedule? Or a copy of my receipt?  You can print one yourself through the Student Self-service System, or you can come to the Admissions office and they will assist you.  Once you pay, you will be mailed a printed receipt which has your class schedule as well.  You can also get a copy of your receipt from the Bursar’s office.

Where do I take my Math, English or ESL Assessment tests? You can enroll in up to 6 units (no math or English courses) before you will have an Assessment hold on your enrollment.  You will need to go to the room 109 in the Liberal Arts building to take your assessment.  No appointments are necessary but we do recommend that you look at the sample tests on their webpage before taking the tests.

I have an Orientation Hold on my enrollment.  What do I do? You must go through the online orientation process.  You can find this link on the Admissions webpage under “Orientation” on the left menu.

I have questions about Financial Aid. Where do I go? Please visit the Financial Aid office in the Student Services complex next to Drescher Hall, behind the “Coffee Spot”.  A great deal of helpful information can also be found on their webpage.